OpenStreetMap as alternative background

This is only for suggestions, NOT bugs.
Please report bugs in the issue-system.
ordoman

OpenStreetMap as alternative background

Post by ordoman »

I'd like the possibility to choose between the satellite image and OpenStreetMap. The satellite image doesn't show very well the possible routes to take. On the other hand, OSM can be of pretty poor quality at some places, so I'd like to be able to choose.

Another advantage would be that turfers that discover flaws in OSM may be encouraged to join the OSM community and improve it.

(Currently I sometimes use an additional phone with an OSM map, in unfamiliar terrain. Would be happier to use only one phone.)
LeiLar

Re: OpenStreetMap as alternative background

Post by LeiLar »

👍👍👍👍
Turf member since: 2013-01-26 00:37:51
stooboy

Post by stooboy »

yes this is a good idea, I want to teach my children about elevation and map reading and this would be ideal.
embeoo
Zonemaker

Post by embeoo »

This has been brought up from time to time, and also to bring back "pro mode", no map at all, just the zones (was a feature in the early days to save data).

However, the creator have been pretty clear that this won't happen. The satellite imagery is part of the games hart and soul.

My suggestion is that you make sure you can run turf in the background (check the app settings) and then have a proper map application up front (or split screen). You may export zone locations in various formats at https://turf.urbangeeks.org/ so you can have markers on the map.

Return to “Suggestion Box”